- Heading font size ÷ Body copy font size = 1.96
- line height (pixels) ÷ body copy font size (pixels) = 1.48
- line length (pixels) ÷ line height (pixels) = 27.8
- space between paragraphs (pixels) ÷ line height (pixels) = 0.754
- characters per line: 75 to 85
Basic ratios: (Type size = font size)
|Paragraph width (max-width)||= 30 (type size) (approx. 65 chars)|
|Leading (line-height)||= type size + (2-5) pt|
|Vertical rhythm (margin bottom)||= line spacing = line height = type size + (2-5)pt|
Other rough guidelines:
- Either serif or sans-serif fonts are fine for body copy and headings, but sans-serif fonts are still more popular for both.
- Common choices for headlines are Georgia, Arial and Helvetica.
- Common choices for body copy are Georgia, Arial, Verdana and Lucida Grande.
- The most popular font size for headings is a range between 18 and 29 pixels.
- The most popular font size for body copy is a range between 12 and 14 pixels.
- The optimal number of characters per line is between 55 and 75, but between 75 and 85 characters per line is more popular,
- Body text is left-aligned, image replacement is rarely used and links are either underlined or highlighted with bold or color.