The following settings disable default launcher of Unity
Install compiz plugins:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
sudo apt-get install compiz-plugins
- disable alt tab key binding
- disable shit alt tab key binding
Click Window management:
- Enable “Static Application Switcher”
- resolve conflicts
- set all anyway
- Click switcher
- set alt-tab to next window (all windows)
- set shift-alt-tab to previous window (all windows)
- click show menus in window’s title bar
- set menu visibility to “Always displayed”
Install and configure Unity tweak tools
From Unity->Launcher choose position:bottom
From Ubuntu Appearance, set icon size to whatever you want.
The following settings enable list view, enable executing sh files by clicking on them and enable viewing MIME types on the list view.
Beware that execution of sh files via double click is risky.
At Edit → Preferences:
- at →Views
- Change Default view to List view
- at → Behavior
- Change “Ask each time” to Executable Text files settings
- at → List columns
- add MIME type and permissions. Move MIME type to top
- add permissions if you like
The following settings are my personal favorites.
The settings are not risky.
Generally transparency is disabled, menu bar (launcher) is placed at the bottom of the screen and mouse features are disabled (like snapping, hot corners etc) since i dont use the mouse.
sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool
Do the following configurations:
- at Unity->Launcher menu:
- disable autohide
- disable transparency
- disable “Show Desktop Icon”
- set position to “bottom”
- at Unity->Search:
- disable blur
- disable “show more suggestions”
- at Unity->Panel:
- disable transparency
- select “Show my name”
- at Unity->Switcher:
- clear “Display Show Desktop icon”
- at Unity->Web Apps:
- clear all “Preauthorized domains”
- at Window Manager->General:
- disable zoom
- disable window animations
- set d as Show desktop shortcut
- at Window Manager->Window snapping:
- disable window snapping
- at Window Manager->Hotcorners:
- disable hotcorners
- at Appearance->Cursor:
- Set cursor to Dmz-black
- at System->Scrolling:
- Disable overlay
- Download inSSIDer (official site here)
- For each possible valid value as channel of your Access point:
- Configure your accesspoint to use that channel
- run inSSIDer and note the link score of your WiFi
- Configure your access point to use the channel with the highest link score.
Optimally your link score should be 100.
- By using the same channel as the other WiFis you decrease speed but also decrease intermissions, thus network becomes more stable.
- By using channels very close (but not equal) to other WiFis you increase speed but also increase intermission (thus network becomes less stable)